Monday, May 28, 2012

481 to 90 to 91 to 15 and back

I've been making this drive from Fulton, NY to Hamden, CT almost every weekend for about 6 weeks. I could probably do it in my sleep, but my understanding is that is not the best way to drive. So I try to keep my eyes open.

I've noticed some odd things in my travels. I have seen Oreo cows. Black on either end and a third white in the middle. When I'm northbound in NY, there is a very cool/creepy house on the southbound side that looks like the Bates house behind the motel in Psycho. It's not near an exit and there is no safe place to pull over to take a picture, so you'll just have to take my word for it. I never see it when I'm southbound.

I've also noticed that in New York, towns seem to overlay each other. I work in Syracuse - or East Syracuse - or DeWitt - or Fayetteville. I live in Fulton - or Volney. I'm thinking it may be similar to Mount Carmel, Spring Glen and Whitneyville which are all sections of Hamden (CT). New Haven (CT) has Fair Haven and Westville. North Haven (CT) has Montowese. Wallingford (CT) has Yalesville. Meriden (CT) has Tracey. But, you generally don't see those sections or neighborhoods on maps, so I'm still a little confused. But as far as the Post Office is concerned, 13069 is Fulton, NY.




I still get a bit of a kick from Rt 481. I pick it up in Syracuse and it's an Interstate highway. About 10 miles up, as we cross I-81, it becomes a state highway. Looks exactly the same, just the sign changes, and 20 more miles, when we get to Fulton, there is a traffic light and 481 is magically transformed into a regular old road. Continues on to Oswego and Lake Ontario which are only a few miles away. This is 481 in Fulton:


That's it for today. I hope you enjoyed my little tour.

2 comments:

  1. well, thank goodness your town is big enough for a mcdonalds!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really know if I'm ready to call it my town yet. I want to come home.

      Delete